I'm So Glad

This blog is dedicated to discerning why I am so glad. This may be of interest to others besides myself . . . or not. It did occur to me that at some future time I will become sad. Should this happen I resolve to close down this site immediately.

1.01.2005

Run Sinner Run!

As it turns out there are several other songs which are titled "I'm So Glad."
As you might guess, some are gospel tunes.

Most notable perhaps, is from Sam Cooke's the Soul Stirrers. With a cool refrain in which the singers call over and over, "Run sinner run, you'd better run sinner run."
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000QME/qid=1104575003/sr=8-4/ref=pd_ka_4/103-6719680-0340623?v=glance&s=music&n=507846
http://www.geocities.com/martynb88/imsoglad.html
Here are the complete lyrics:
Written by: S.R. Crain (ATV-BMI)Performed by the Soul Stirrers
"Well you know, I'm so glad I know that trouble don't last always (3x)
Oh My Lord, I wonder, what shall I do (2x)
You better run, run on sinner run you better find you a hiding place (3x)
Well, my Lord, what shall I do, I wonder
I'm so glad, I'm so glad Lord, I know that trouble last always (3x)
Oh my Lord, I wonder, what shall I do
Well, I'm getting worried, what can I dowhat can I do, I'm getting worried, what can I do
You promised me dearest, you'd be beside me
You promised me Lord, you'd bring me out of trouble
You promised me Lord, you'd be my friend now
You promised me Lord, you'd stay right beside me
i'm so glad, so glad Lord, I have religion
lord in time, I'm so glad that I got religion (2x)
Soon one morning, you _____ creeping in my room
O, soon one morning, I ____ one morningOh my Lord, I wonder, what shall I do."

http://opengatemin.org/ImSoGlad.html I'm so very Glad (Gospel)
http://www.dottieburman.com/imsoglad.htm I'm so Glad you're in my life (love song)

And here's a Norwegian Folk Christmas Song (via a Mormon weblog)
http://www.timesandseasons.org/wp/index.php?p=1768
"Even though my name and family background is Norwegian, I was not all that aware of Norwegian Christmas songs and customs until I served my mission in Norway. One of the Christmas songs that I learned to love was “Jeg er så glad hver julekveld” ("I am so glad each Christmas Eve"). Here are the words with the English translation and you can hear the tune at
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/m/imsoglad.htm
Jeg er så glad hver julekveld,for da ble Jesus født;da lyste stjernen som en sol,og engler sang så søtt.
Det lille barn i Betlehem,han var en konge storsom kom fra himlens høye slottned til vår arme jord.
Nå bor han høyt i himmerik,han er Guds egen sønn,men husker alltid på de småog hører deres bønn.
Jeg er så glad hver julekveld,da synger vi hans pris;da åpner han for alle småsitt søte paradis.
Da tenner moder alle lys,så ingen krok er mørk;hun sier stjernen lyste såi hele verdens ørk.
Hun sier at den lyser ennog slukkes aldri ut,og hvis den skinner på min vei,da kommer jeg til Gud.
Hun sier at de engler små,de synger og i dagom fred og fryd på jorderikog om Guds velbehag.
Å, gid jeg kunne synge så,da ble visst Jesus glad;for jeg jo også ble Guds barnengang i dåpens bad.
Jeg holder av vår julekveldog av den Herre Krist,og at han elsker meg igjen,det vet jeg ganske visst.
English translation:
I am so glad each Christmas Eve,
The night of Jesus’ birth!Then like the sun the Star shone forth,
And angels sang on earth.
The little Child in Bethlehem,He was a King indeed!
For He came down from Heaven aboveTo help a world in need.
He dwells again in heaven’s realm,The Son of God today;
And still He loves His little onesAnd hears them when they pray.
I am so glad on Christmas Eve!His praises then I sing;
He opens then for every childThe palace of the King.
[The remaining stanzas are best suited for home use.]
When mother trims the Christmas tree
Which fills the room with light,
She tells me of the wondrous Star
That made the dark world bright.
She says the Star is shining still,
And never will grow dim;
And if it shines upon my way,It leads me up to Him.
And so I love each Christmas Eve
And I love Jesus, too;
And that He loves me every dayI know so well is true.
Comment by Hans Hansen — 12/21/2004 : 2:38 pm"


1 Comments:

Blogger ertandberni said...

Intense!

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home