I'm So Glad

This blog is dedicated to discerning why I am so glad. This may be of interest to others besides myself . . . or not. It did occur to me that at some future time I will become sad. Should this happen I resolve to close down this site immediately.

2.14.2005

Nicaragua-- February 14 pm

The dedication went very well.  We had another ribbon cutting/ dedication today before we saw too many patients.  The local media were there.  Charlie and Roger did the family proud (or is it humble.)  He said that today is a day of hope for us all.  For us particularly because we believe that God is the God of the living and not the dead so therefore Tim is here, with us.  And for the people of Esteli because they can know that God is with them and cares for them.  

The morning was fairly okay because of the dedication and so it was short. And the afternoon was much harder, busier and the people were poorer. This afternoon the people who live at the dump (yes, live) were brought to us for their needs. They all were anemic, malnourished and with parasites. It was very hard because we could solve such a small part of their problems. It is very physically, mentally and emotionally draining. The people are very nice and happy. The children are beautiful. All could use a day of soaking in a bathtub and several steak dinners. We prayed with every child and family as we took care of them. Dave has been a huge help. I am learning Spanish and he is learning medicine. Both of us at a very rapid pace but probably not with the depth that we will later learn from books. The difference is this experience will give us much to hold on as motivation to do better.

Everyone here is well except a very few who have had mild diarrhea. Roger is doing well but looks a bit tired tonight. (no surprise) Everyone on the team is pitching in mightily. The nurse with us was an agnostic before this trip. If she can remain so afterward I don't know how.

I had to send a patient to the hospital, a little three month old girl. She was dehydrated and febrile and was panting her breaths. She looked okay when she came in the room. Then when she woke up she did not. We had to run her down the street with her older brother and her mother and hail a taxi to take her to the hospital. It was very hard. The nurse was with me.

I also took care of a girl with seizures (none in the clinic) who could not afford the 480 cordobas for an EEG or the medicine. And another child who was ten or twelve years old who looked as though she had some undiagnosed syndrome. Could it have been (or now be) treated? I don't know and probably never will.

Anyway that was my day. We have much to be thankful for. So much that we don't even know.
Hug em and kiss em for me.

On the way home we bought more medicine and charged it to my card. Should be between 40-60 bucks. 788 cordobas
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home