I'm So Glad

This blog is dedicated to discerning why I am so glad. This may be of interest to others besides myself . . . or not. It did occur to me that at some future time I will become sad. Should this happen I resolve to close down this site immediately.

12.23.2004

Midnight Christmas Mess

This year I will be going to Christmas Eve Mass. We are looking forward to a bustling Christmas in which we enjoy the company of our family and some close friends. Traditionally we have a kid gift exchange on Christmas eve. We will go to Mass first where the Kings Choir will sing, and then dinner and then the gifts. We hope the weather won't put the damper on too many people's celebrations.

My friend LAGuy ( http://pajamaguy.blogspot.com ) has an old vinyl record of mine titled the same as this post. I remember it had a bittersweet song from Wednesday Week as well as some garage band mixing Them's (Van Morrison's) Gloria with Gloria in Excelsis Deo. Somehow it seemed they were able to pull it off without being blasphemous. Certainly I have heard Christian Rock that would be more upsetting to a saint's ears.



4 Comments:

Blogger LAGuy said...

It's a great album with a bunch of fun songs. Among my favorite cuts (this'll mean nothing to just about everybody) are "Christmastime With You," the rockabilly "Gotta Get Lucky For Christmas" and "It's Christmas (A Time For Giving)" by a very calm Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

But the highlight is definitely the Wednesday Week song "Christmas Here Could Never Be Like That." It follows in the tradition of such classics as "White Christmas" and "I'll Be Home For Christmas" in that the singer wishes to be elsewhere. It's in my top hundred songs of all time, maybe even top ten.

The band was formed in the early 80s. They've been through multiple permutations but are still around. In fact, I saw them perform a short set at a local record store a couple years ago. It was just after New Years. I talked to them afterward. They told me if it had been Christmas they would have played my favorite number.

2:59 AM  
Blogger Skip James said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Skip James said...

seriously?!? Did you tell them that it was one of your top ten? and still they didn't play it.

If I remember correctly I picked up this record in NY on one of several trips that had less than a one in a million chance of even occurring.

6:06 AM  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I didn't talk to the band until after their set. And it wasn't the sort of show where you shout out requests.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home